How to use GitHub OR NOT to contribute

Organizing tasks to work on, New Features Ideas, Building LCS & LCB Libraries & Widgets, Redecorating and Modifying the IDE, Hacking / Editing Tools, Compiling the Engine from Source, etc.
OpenXTalkPaul

How to use GitHub OR NOT to contribute

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I think a lot of people in this community don't really have much experience with GitHub if at all
I think this was actually a BIG problem for LC in getting users to contribute.
I never used GitHub before trying to contribute to LCC OS, so I'm not expert, I'm still learning to use it.
I don't use it the way the C++ lords do, I use it entirely through GUI via GitHub Desktop and GitHub web interface.
I think this would actually be a very good topic for public discussion ( and one that LC should have had IMO) an so I've created this thread to discuss using GitHub (OR NOT), and/or mentor people in doing that (OR NOT). I'd like to be much more loose about contributing if possible. People shouldn't have to have their own forks in GitHub to contribute IMO, unless they want to. Personally I've grown to like using it.

For one thing, instead of doing a pull request, you can make comments on files in the GitHub repo here (post a URL Link) and then I or someone else can make changes based on those comments on GitHub for you. If you make a comment on a file in GitHub I believe it automatically creates a branch in your own GitHub account. But you can delete that branch once the changes are incorporated into the main branch.

I know it can be confusing, it still is for me.

I highly recommend using GitHub's Desktop app, no command-line stuff required!
https://desktop.github.com
boley

Re: How to use GitHub OR NOT to contribute

Post by boley »

I like your idea of letting people contribute to the degree they can without pulling and forking. I think many times it is much more efficient to let have an experienced user look at a piece of code or suggestion and implement it correctly rather than have an inexperienced person gum up the works.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

boley wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:05 pm I like your idea of letting people contribute to the degree they can without pulling and forking. I think many times it is much more efficient to let have an experienced user look at a piece of code or suggestion and implement it correctly rather than have an inexperienced person gum up the works.
I know when I first tried to contribute simple corrections to the dictionary .lcdoc files (which LC''s flavor of simple markdown) it was a bit of a shock for me. I had no idea what I was doing because GitHub was completely new to me, and something which seemed like it should be dead simple was this elaborate process that I really don't think it needs to be.
barko

Post by barko »

Hi,
I'm not sure if you see my simple contribution in github, I created patch as I use it for my Windows part (ugankarski asistent for slovenian language only, it's on my github too) of my software for sending mails. Well, I you do not like it, then don't use it anyway. There is created "pull" request, If you want implement it, you need to pull it from github.com, I believe. I'm using desktop github (on win and lin), command line I know some basics, so...

Here is the link: https://github.com/trinajstica

I'm trying to help as I can :)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

barko wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:55 pm Hi,
I'm not sure if you see my simple contribution in github, I created patch as I use it for my Windows part (ugankarski asistent for slovenian language only, it's on my github too) of my software for sending mails. Well, I you do not like it, then don't use it anyway. There is created "pull" request, If you want implement it, you need to pull it from github.com, I believe. I'm using desktop github (on win and lin), command line I know some basics, so...

Here is the link: https://github.com/trinajstica

I'm trying to help as I can :)
Thanks You! I'll definitely look at that at adding that some point! You're the first!
Also I see you have Trozware stacks collection in your repos, which could possibly be useful:
https://github.com/trinajstica/rev_stacks
https://github.com/trozware/rev_stacks

I've sort of always wondered about how or why people who aren't natively English speaking use a coding language based on English?
I don't know anything about app localization.
barko

Post by barko »

I've sort of always wondered about how or why people who aren't natively English speaking use a coding language based on English? I don't know anything about app localization.
As far I know we do not have any other languages that aren't based on english words... pascal, basic, delphi and now LC, anyway, this are mine in past years... I bought book from Mark Schonewille (Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner) and start converting my Ugankarski Asistent (made it in year 2000 with delphi) into LC, because LC was offer what I needed, free open source tool capable compiling into exe for win,lin,macos,android... (at least that I thinked, but now...is this pase...). Anyway, I hope we will be able to compile for all that platforms so I do not need to convert my crossword assistant into something else again.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

barko wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:27 pm Anyway, I hope we will be able to compile for all that platforms so I do not need to convert my crossword assistant into something else again.
I understand. My hope is that this open source stays available forever, free to everyone who is interested, particularly hobbyist coders, people in impoverished areas and young people who can't afford commercial tools. And if we can at least get the current engine ported to other platforms, like Apple Silicon or Single Board Computers ( Raspberry Pi and others), that would be great!

I merged your patch this morning, thank you!