Stykz - an (old) xTalk 2D stick animator

A forum to share your demonstrations stacks, fun stacks, games, etc.
xAction

Stykz - an (old) xTalk 2D stick animator

Post by xAction »

Stykz.gif
Stykz.gif (133.2 KiB) Viewed 65 times
When I was making my platform boulder example I made some stick figures and remembered something
Stykz was made in Livecode, the save files are just LC stacks and can be opened in your favorite OpenXTalk application. (the stack is set to invisible, so toggle that when you open it)

Stykz hasn't been updated in a decade. And probably won't work on any modern Macs, but you can still dig around some of the files and see some things. There's a bunch of .rev library files, that are some kind of binary data output from Revolution 2.7.

I tried to get ahold of the webmaster specifically to see if the library fell into the GPL but I suspect it was developed and abandoned right before the GPL happened. This is the perfect example of what should have gone to the public domain if one loves this language.

I got no e-mail reply so I dug around on the other side's forums to see if he was still active but there's been no word as far as I can tell from him in ages. Lots of 'Go ask Ken Ray" posts, but no sign of the man himself. Even his Sons of Thunder website hasn't been updated in a decade. [Edit-Link to Sons of Thunder Website removed, some links there go to malware!]

I thought Pivot might be an adaptation of Stykz but it's the other way around. Sadly Pivot 5 uses a installer that connects to some cloud service that feeds awful advertisements to install additional software and anti-virus don't like that and so I won't even post a link to it, because you if can't just download and install a thing without complications and worry...no way. Shame they really did a lot of work on that software, Stykz times 10,000.

So anyway, just wanted to point this out as a thing you can do in Xtalk and maybe we'll get around some reverse engineering of this to create a means to make built in video game characters without having to jump out of the IDE for sprites. Really a missed opportunity to roll these Stykz into a useable game format.
Here's a perfect example of what I mean.