Another Apple Rant...

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
tperry2x

Another Apple Rant...

Post by tperry2x »

Why do I need to purchase a 3rd party tool to stop the green icon on a window from going 'fullscreen' on the mac, rather than the previous behaviour of resizing the window to fit the available screen size?
https://blazingtools.com/right_zoom_mac.html
richmond62

Re: Another Apple Rant...

Post by richmond62 »

Yup: that's a right w*nk.

Although, I suspect that the code underlying that bit of stuff is fairly simple.

Apple rarely remove features: just bury them so poor little end-users either cannot find them or have to fork out cash to access them.

Certainly the 'going fullscreen' annoys me no end: did Apple do any customer research?

All that I do when I want my app to fill up all of the desktop, BUT NOT obscure the Mac menu bar is press the ALT/OPT key while clicking on the green blob. 8-)
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I almost never use the mouse to manage windows on macOS, there is a command key for everything and they've been fairly consistent for decades, across classic Mac and OS X+, and I have decades of muscle memory built up for it. If there isn't a command for it, then you can often make one with the Keyboard Preferences + a little bit of Automator or an AppleScript.

Like Richmond said, If you Option-Click that circle then macOS should resize the window to fill the current screen without going into 'fullscreen' mode.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

That's my point though. My muscle memory (or rather the expected behaviour for anyone having used any window system on Windows or Linux), you click the maximise window button - the window maximises to fill the screen rect. It does not hide any panels / taskbar / menubar as that's not what I asked for. It's also not the behaviour in previous versions of MacOS which I was also used to. It's not the behaviour in previous versions of 'Classic' macOS before that. Why change 30+ years of an established interface feature, for no good reason? It would have been better to make the option-click the 'fullscreen' behaviour and keep the original maximise method as the default.

It's just not consistent with the way every other OS does it, so that's what my rant was about - why did Apple decide to go off and do something completely different than what everybody else is doing?

"Think different".
"It's a 'feature', not a bug"

(Because we made a change that we see fit, without any consultation whatsoever from our users). Which they are of course famous for. Rant over :lol: Do I feel better? No. Am I still going to change this via a defaults.write command: absolutely.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

It is a pain-in-the-bum having to remember to hit the OPT key every time, and it would be far better were it the other way round: hit the OPT key to make the app window take over the whole screen.

And Apple's HUG (Human Interface guidelines) are not 'Human' at all; they are whatever arbitary feelings the Apple people like (not that MicroSoft behave any better: two peas in a pod).
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 am It is a pain-in-the-bum having to remember to hit the OPT key every time, and it would be far better were it the other way round: hit the OPT key to make the app window take over the whole screen.

And Apple's HUG (Human Interface guidelines) are not 'Human' at all; they are whatever arbitary feelings the Apple people like (not that MicroSoft behave any better: two peas in a pod).
I would wager that if one were to dust off the original (or as near-to as could be) multi-tome, on paper Guidelines and compare them against modern macOS, the number of violations would be astounding.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

This goes back a fair old way, the ones from 2005.

Thanks to Richmond being a guinea pig in MacOS 14, I've since found that Apple are forcing people into a ZSH shell now too, instead of bash. Again - not something anyone was consulted on as far as I can tell. I'm sure that's ancient news now, but - I stay on 10.15 as that's the last OS that 'feels' reminiscent of the MacOS (before it was iOS-ified to a degree where I actively started to dislike it).
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

tperry2x wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:31 am This goes back a fair old way, the ones from 2005.

Thanks to Richmond being a guinea pig in MacOS 14, I've since found that Apple are forcing people into a ZSH shell now too, instead of bash. Again - not something anyone was consulted on as far as I can tell. I'm sure that's ancient news now, but - I stay on 10.15 as that's the last OS that 'feels' reminiscent of the MacOS (before it was iOS-ified to a degree where I actively started to dislike it).
The ZSH switch didn't really sit well with me, even when I didn't have a Mac to run it on...

This might be worth a spin then on my MacBook Air with Monterey... as soon as I'm sure we're "done with Monterey."

Then again, I've live-booted quite a few Linux distros on it and all of the hardware works, I know *gasp sacrilege* but I'd give that equal consideration in all honesty. Might even have to find a die-hard or two to let boot it up that way (I'm with you on the 'iOS-ified' bit.)
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I even got OXT Lite working on a hacked Chromebook (because it's basically Debian Linux anyway), so not much of a surprise it works. All of the recent Linux tests I've done seem to be working well (aside from the player and browser issues, which we know of already).
Windows seems to work without any issues too.
It's just MacOS I have serious issues with (but then it's a moving target more than any other OS), so... yeah. I hate the phrase, but "it is what it is".
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:27 am Why change 30+ years of an established interface feature, for no good reason? It would have been better to make the option-click the 'fullscreen' behaviour and keep the original maximise method as the default.
Personally, I've never liked the way that those Other OSes did some of these things vs macOS way, in fact I've been unsuccessfully looking for a Linux or BSD alternative that feels like macOS for a long time. (helloSystem and elementaryOS maybe the closest to Mac feel that I've found).
But I do feel your pain, Apple (like Adobe and others have) has changed a few key combos on me from time to time.
For instance there's 'reveal original' in Finder, used to be command+R until one day it wasn't. However, now days you can edit just about every Key combo that comes with the OS (and in other Apps too), to override them with your own. So I was able to set that back to Command+R, and my change has carried over to through every OS update since.

I understood why Adobe did that, not sure what Apple's motives were. The more iOS-like the macOS gets the less I enjoy using it. I do know that some people like a lot of these features (fullscreen, multiple virtual-desktops, gestures, etc.) but I rarely use them.