HyperScript

A place to discuss any and all xTalk implementations, not just LC LCC Forks, but HyperCard, SuperCard, MetaCard, Gain Momentum, Oracle MediaTalk, OpenXION, etc.
Forum rules
Please limit any bashing/harping on any commercial interests to a minimum, thanks!
xAction

HyperScript

Post by xAction »

https://hyperscript.org/
Hyperscript is a scripting language for doing front end web development. It is designed to make it very easy to respond to events and do simple DOM manipulation in code that is directly embedded on elements on a web page.
Arrived there through the HTMX website

If only everything on the web wasn't littered with <this garbage> and </that garbage>
Why web developers love the ugly.
FourthWorld

Re: HyperScript

Post by FourthWorld »

xAction wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:31 pm Why web developers love the ugly.
Web developers love the ubiquity and ease of deployment. XML-based tagging may be an accident of history, but a useful one.

Is the binary structure of a HyperCard or OXT stack more inviting?
xAction

Post by xAction »

I don't have to look at the binary structure of a stack, ever.
Everything HTML related has all that ugly in it, every time.
Simple tutorial for getting startedl? Here's ugly.
New Libary? More Ugly.
Want to make a user interface, oh, 2 mark up langauges and an ugly scripting language too!
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:43 am I don't have to look at the binary structure of a stack, ever.
Everything HTML related has all that ugly in it, every time.
Simple tutorial for getting startedl? Here's ugly.
New Libary? More Ugly.
Want to make a user interface, oh, 2 mark up langauges and an ugly scripting language too!
XML can be highly readable, it gets much less readable (in my opinion) when the XML is replaced with (javascript) JSON and then throw in even more ugly CSS style system. Then, to save bytes on transmission, it usually all gets 'minified', which is taking all of the unnecessary white-space out of the code and can yield up to megabytes smaller file size, but It might as well be machine code at that point as far as readability.

I've posted about ///_HyperScript & HTMX before.
It's very cool, I like it. I would probably be using it a lot if I did a lot or working on web sites.

Binary formats like GIF, like our stack format, are much smaller and better as far as transmission speed. 1980s format like GIF were extremely efficient, seems like devs stop carrying about that for of thing all together once a lot of people got broadband internet.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:39 pm I've posted about ///_HyperScript & HTMX before.
It's very cool, I like it. I would probably be using it a lot if I did a lot or working on web sites.
I'll link to those posts here since I posted about it in a different sub-forum and those posts actually belong here, since _HyperScript is indeed another xTalk dialect implementation.

viewtopic.php?p=3660&hilit=HyperSCript#p3660

viewtopic.php?p=1490&hilit=HyperSCript#p1490

viewtopic.php?t=160
xAction

Post by xAction »

I found my old stack to run it in, only 1 example out of ten worked in the browser widget.
It defaults to a field and the cursor changes to the I-bar
It didn't seem to want to except mouseEnter commands and set the cursor commands.
Maybe mouseWithin will work. Maybe the stack or card level.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:46 am I found my old stack to run it in, only 1 example out of ten worked in the browser widget.
It defaults to a field and the cursor changes to the I-bar
It didn't seem to want to except mouseEnter commands and set the cursor commands.
Maybe mouseWithin will work. Maybe the stack or card level.
Yeah I found that as well, it doesn't play well with Browser Widget (on macOS using WebKit), but I've had plenty of other web things that don't work well in Browser Widget too, specially with 'offline' files (unless you merge everything, like external JS libraries, into one file first), there's issues like 'cross origin'' problems.
I was looking at it as more of it's own thing, perhaps it could be useful for exporting our xTalk content to run on the web in HTMX/HS format (instead of using Emscripten or HyperSim).