richmond62

Comments on OXT Lite 1.02

Post by richmond62 »

Using this proved problematic:
-
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.12.21.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.12.21.png (38.56 KiB) Viewed 415 times
-
As, when it opened the Security and Privacy settings I could NOT unlock the padlock item: I had to close Sys. Settings and restart it from the Dock.

AND: presumably this is NOT you?
-
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.10.37.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.10.37.png (42.8 KiB) Viewed 415 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Re: Comments on OXT Lite 1.02

Post by richmond62 »

Loading was unproblematic.

Looking good, looking good:
-
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.30.00.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.30.00.png (114.88 KiB) Viewed 411 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Save As is now sorted out: super:
-
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.32.07.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.32.07.png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 411 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

The messageBox is now appearing: better and better:
-
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.33.56.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.33.56.png (43.48 KiB) Viewed 411 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Don't know who Matt ingalls is. Have you perhaps tried to run something lately from that developer that is also unsigned?

Glad everything else is working :)
I'm now tempted to go find what Matt Ingalls might have created, so I can perhaps diagnose what that might be.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Oh, okay. That didn't take me too long. Did you try to install soundFlower?

Edit: moved to openxtalk progress
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

So, here I am "back at the ranch" (well, my school really) with my MacOS 14.4 machine.

1.02 installs and launches without so much as a backward look.

A Save As offers oxtstack, and the messageBox is 'here'.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

That's great news. Good to hear.
Meanwhile, I've just discovered more stuff that isn't working on Linux. (I'll come back and link it here, because it's not to do with an update relating to 1.02), but it is something that needs fixing....
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Tried OXTLite 1.02 for a bit this morning. OXT Mac Native Tools is not automatically loading for some reason. Did you mess with any of the Extension related scripts? I see it IS actually loaded in the IDE but it's not turning on DarkMode properly.

The result is I'm not getting the true native darkMode, which means if the system is in darkMode any other content might look weird, I actually try to test and edit most of my stacks now against light mode and dark mode while toggling it from the system menuBar. In OXT DPE I had made it so that default button's have a black textColor as default because of this (as a workaround since we don't get true native buttons from the 'classic controls') the problem is you can't then reset it to 'empty' as it defaults to black there after ( I think that could be fixed). In OXT DPE I had darkMode setting to preferences/read-write so pref is persistent. I also added a handler in Home stack that responds to the 'on systemAppearanceChanged' (engine-level message but ONLY on Mac) and calls NativeTool's setAppToDarkMode command, that's how OXT DPE can toggle dark/light 'automatically' when user toggles it in from the macOS system, which is the recommended behavior for apps.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Unfortunately (or, fortunately, if in my case you wonder what all the fuss about dark mode is about) dark mode on macOS is a half-cock job, and as far as I am concerned, is probably best either done away with, or implemented in such a way that, regardless of whether Chummy wants their Mac desktop in "light", "dark" or "sky-blue-pink" mode, that the whole IDE is in permanent dark mode . . .

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... -blue-pink
-
[removed unrelated picture of paris hilton]
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:56 pm Tried OXTLite 1.02 for a bit this morning. OXT Mac Native Tools is not automatically loading for some reason. Did you mess with any of the Extension related scripts? I see it IS actually loaded in the IDE but it's not turning on DarkMode properly.
I'm sure we covered this before, or maybe I imagined it. Yes - I did include your OXT Mac Native Tools, I didn't modify it at all, (and credited you for your work BTW), if you look in line 3144 of "home.livecodescript"

Code: Select all

-- now do the window titles, (thanks to Paul McClernan for all his work on this)
It works on 10.15 fine, but I have a feeling for whatever reason it's not picking up the tSystemVersionNumber properly:

put tSystemVersionNumber into tCheckSys
   set the itemdelimiter to "."
   if item 1 of tCheckSys is 10 or item 1 of tCheckSys > 10 then
      if item 2 of tCheckSys > 14 then
         -- we are on an OS higher than 10.15
         setAppToDarkMode
      end if
   end if
It's tricky, as I don't have anything past MacOS 10.15 I can test on.
tSystemVersionNumber is a global (line 4)

global tSystemVersionNumber
It should get instantiated at line 1555, as part of the revInternal__InitialiseOptions handler.

If item 1 of tCheckSys is identifying as less than 10, then I guess it won't fire - but it's likely item 2 of tCheckSys that's causing the issue.

I think it should probably just be:

put tSystemVersionNumber into tCheckSys
   set the itemdelimiter to "."
   if item 2 of tCheckSys > 14 or item 1 of tCheckSys > 10 then
      -- we are on an OS higher than 10.15
      setAppToDarkMode
   end if
That would probably be where the issue is. (line 3014 to 3020).

Can you test for me please? That would be brilliant.
As for the auto-switch behaviour, I wasn't overly worried about that, but you should also be able to toggle in the Edit menu > Preference > Extras as to what theme you want.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

You can probably run MacOS 14 in a virtual environment.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

It will likely be painfully slow, but I'll give it a go and report back to see if my educated guess above fixes it.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:36 pm That would probably be where the issue is. (line 3014 to 3020).

Can you test for me please? That would be brilliant.
As for the auto-switch behaviour, I wasn't overly worried about that, but you should also be able to toggle in the Edit menu > Preference > Extras as to what theme you want.
Oh right, yeah to get the (accurate) System version I think I used the same shell command, but via a slightly different method (via 'evaluate script' in a handler in the macOS Native Tools library)
Sure, I'll take a look when I have some time again. I was in the middle of obsessing over getting that GIF Parser Library working (which it is now!).

Getting the IDE to auto-switch in response to macOS darkMode system prefs change was super easy because the Community engine had already added that message ('on systemAppearanceChanged') to the macOS Engine in the 'before time'.

The menubar also includes the menu items for the SVG Glyph Browser and Color Swatches Palette, which I'm glad to see you included, but they don't open anything because the stacks that those launch were not included with in the IDE palettes folder. Once I dropped those two stacks into that folder they worked as expected.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

That all makes sense.
Would you mind if I were to include those two stacks with OXT lite?
(I'm aware I hadn't asked).

I was in a real quandry as to how to handle light/dark mode switching. There's the argument that it should be what the OS is set to...

But....

There's plenty of instances where applications can do their own thing independently and have a light/dark theme, totally independent of the rest of the OS.
(Photoshop, Unity, LibreOffice, Krita etc)
Some users like their coding environment to be dark mode due to starting at, and writing pages of code for hours on end. Dark mode can really help with lessening eye-strain there - but they might not want to set the rest of the OS to dark as some other programs just don't even open if dark mode is active, or just plain don't support it (Active Directory in Windows for example).

So I wanted to make this a specific user choice, but I'm still not convinced which approach is best. Even though I settled on the second method in the end.

There's also a weird thing I was able to trigger. MacOs has this setting to trigger light/dark mode based on time zone & location. I'm not sure why this is any different to setting light/dark mode manually as far as OXT is concerned, but it never sends the changed theme message if 'auto' is selected, and when it does it's automatic switch, nothing fires. I'm talking the auto setting in Apple > System Preferences

Logically I'd of thought they are the same thing, but do not seem to be. Would it be something to do with the subtle transition from light to dark mode that Apple use - I wonder if that wasn't being picked up on.

But in the brief time I had to test it in MacOS 11, when the system 'went dark', only when set to automatic - even relaunching OXT afterwards - it didn't get sent the message that it was in dark mode and remained light.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I often don't get the message that things have gone dark: and just continue working or reading a book. 8-)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

You don't need to ask to use anything I release for OpenXTalk, just go ahead and use whatever bits and pieces you want, just make sure to follow GPLv3 license by providing any changes you might make to them.

Someone should make a demo video of those two stacks because some things may not be obvious about them.
For example the Color Swatches can be drop & dropped from the color list onto stack objects to change the objects fore/back colors. Also if you do want to change those stacks, I have them set so that if you hold the option(Mac) or alt key (Win/Linux) when opening those stacks, they open as editable / topLevel instead of as normal palette mode.

I looked at your scripts this morning and got the darkmode turning on at startup.

I think part of MY particular problem might be that I changed my installed copy of Mac Native App Tools, 'get setAppToDarkMode()' now only seems to function as a function() rather than as a command, I don't remember changing that, I'll have to take a look, maybe I added some error checking(?). In Extension Builder it determines wether a handler is a command or a function based on wether or not the handler returns a value.

I also removed the check for the 'is-starting-up' of the IDE startup chain because I think it should do the change as soon as possible. In my Home stack I have it checking my cDarkMode pref and doing the 'get setAppToDarkMode()' earlier in the startup chain so that IDE user never sees the switch-over from light to dark.

I also manually modified a few IDE stacks so that that they were readable in either dark or light. Extension Manager was one of those, since it builds/rebuilds its interface/listing on the fly, I had to modify some styling lines of its scripts (result was sort of a 'grays mode')
ExtensionManager.jpg
ExtensionManager.jpg (150.45 KiB) Viewed 183 times
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

The other thing you mentioned is called 'Night Shift' but actually seems to be separate from darkMode. That's in the 'Displays' control panel. It can auto-change the color 'temperatures' to the 'warmer'/'cooler' side of the spectrum for like whites / lighter colors, based on the time of day.
To be honest I never even consider the 'night shift' mode because I don't use that feature at all, I'm always in 'darkMode'.