From now on no more bashing ex-Mothership!

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

From now on no more bashing ex-Mothership!

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Pretty self explanatory. I really don't like to limit freedom of speech, but we've needed this new rule for several reasons.
Here it is:

Posts bashing LC Ltd. their current or previous xTalk IDE efforts, marketing campaigns, and/or personnel will no longer be allowed in this forum. By 'bashing' I mean excessive and uncontructive criticisms. If you have any feelings at all about LC Ltd., this is THE WRONG FORUM to post them in. There is already an LC forum and customer support staff that you can post/email your rants about that stuff to them directly. OpenXTalk.org and the OXT Community IDE(s) are separate and independent project(s), only related to LC by one particular legacy open-source codebase. Posts referring to that legacy are only relevant in a historical or programing context. We are moving on.

All of us here should be thankful that we have this open-source code base that they provided along with some eight years of fairly regular updates for it. I think those of us who've dived under the hood to take a look-see can now much better appreciate the size and scope of this project. While there are a couple of other efforts I admire very much, in my opinion, there currently still is no other open source xTalk interpreter available to the community that is as advanced, with as many nice features as this LC Community Edition codebase so if that legacy does need to be discussed for some relevant topic, let's try show a little appreciation for that and not throw around accusations or conspiracy theories.

Thanks for your cooperation.
richmond62

Re: From now on no more bashing ex-Mothership

Post by richmond62 »

While there are a couple of other efforts I admire very much
Please can you reference those so we can all have a look at them?
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

ex-Mothership
Groovy turn of phrase.

[edited by tperry on 18:43 GMT, 28-03-24 at someone else's moderation request] - please refrain from any direct comparisons to company X that could be taken as derogatory remarks.]

Bashing has happened, and messages have been received; and, after the initial acrimony of the divorce, it's probably time for a bit of rapprochement and re-evaluation.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:46 am
While there are a couple of other efforts I admire very much
Please can you reference those so we can all have a look at them?
I've already mention all that I can find, and then some.
Top of my list after OXT are OpenXION, HyperSim, and StackSmith/Hammer, but there's a bunch of others like ///_HyperScript (+HTMX), ViperCard and even few with a bit different goals like Decker, or the ScummVM project's efforts to make a Lingo interpreting VM, or even the way that Ring (lang) is an 'open-language' and has customizable / adaptable syntax (they used some HC/xTalk syntax in the examples they gave).
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

OK, so two things, neither bad:

1) I don't see any reason for bashing... anything. Let's be positive, people! Whether a person or a company, it gets us nowhere.
2) I fully agree to this new rule and attest that I intend to follow it to the letter.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon